How to overcome shyness?

Welcome back friends to PrimeTech 18. Today we are going to talk about shyness and methods to overcome shyness. Well, what is shyness? If you are one of those people who enter into a room full of strangers and you kind of really awkward or sometimes you are very uncomfortable, sometimes you also feel your heart beating really hard in your chest. And you don’t what to do because you are really uncomfortable around people and with yourself. So, shyness is nothing but being uncomfortable with you especially in a social situation. Well I believe like every other problem, the problem of shyness needs to be attacked aggressively. So, that it does not stop you from being the whole individual that you are meant to be. 




Well we need to know what the root of shyness is. There are three main components of shyness:

v  Self-obsession
If you are a shy person you will be obsessed with yourself. I call it me-syndrome. I am calling it me-syndrome because it’s all about you. For instances, am I not looking good, am I looking fat or am I not doing good? It’s all about you. You are focusing a lot on yourself. And that is why you are overly self-conscious.
v  Poor self-image
Most shy people have a poor self-image. A poor self-image is could be deep rooted. It could be as deep as your childhood experiences, a time when you were rejected or maybe you are made fun of school or at home. May be your poor self-image is attributed to the fact that you are not from a good family or not really have the good education that you desired.
v  Magnifying ones negatives
Most shy people always focus on their negatives. All human beings have their positives and negatives. You can’t be perfect. It doesn’t matter unless you magnify your negatives. For instances, you think you are so fat or not good looking. Always try to focus on your positive things whatever you are good at.
We will now see how to attack shyness because now we know what makes you shy.
v  State the problem
Stating the problem is the first step because I believe that a problem well defined is a problem already half solved. So, now that you know what is your problem you can deal with it better? So maybe you are person who is self-obsessed, maybe you are just magnifying your negatives or maybe you have a poor self-image. That’s okay now we are going to deal with that.
v  Find your strengths
As I explained to you before, a person who is shy will always magnify their negatives. So they will always look for their weakness not their strengths. So what are your strengths, maybe you are a good talker or a good listener, maybe you are a person who is good at sports. Now for some people like me I may not be good at dancing and singing but I could be a good speaker and listener and good at sports. So, when you find your strengths and identify them affectively, you can use them to your advantage in a social situation.
v  Focus outwardly
Remember we just talk about a person who is shy is self-obsessed which means he makes sure that the lime light is all over him. But I don’t the lime light to be over myself all the time. So what I am going to do is I am going to focus on situations, people or may be just the problem at hand. How do I do that? If I were a shy person it is natural for me to think about how I am not good looking, how I am not good at something. But if I focus outwardly, I will listen to more to people, I will give them a change to say what they want to say and be interested in what they have to say. So that I can help them and therefore in that social situation I have the upper hand because now I am actively engaging in the conversation by being part of what the problem is and by being part of the conversation.
v  Affirmation
Affirmations are nothing but positive words or positive thoughts. I believe that words carry an incredible power. So every time you tell yourself that you are good for nothing. Then, all that negative thoughts register in your mind. And you tend to act how you really feel. So, it is very important that we tell ourselves words of affirmation. So you can tell yourself that you are a good person or a good speaker or a social person because ultimately you will act the way you think. What you think makes a very big impact on your life. And therefore word of affirmation very-very important.
v  Deal with an uncomfortable situation
This is the one of the most difficult part about dealing with shyness or overcoming shyness. Well a person, who is shy, will probably never ever deal with an uncomfortable situation. If I am scared of dancing and singing in public then I will never attend school functions or any party. Now understand one thing that when you face an uncomfortable situation you are not going to feel like doing it but once you are out there and once you deal with it, you will say that you are in a position of to function in a more effective way. That’s the only barrier to overcome shyness.
v  Record your success
This is one of the most important things. Record your success, you can keep a journal or may be a notebook. You know make a list of your success or the milestone that you have covered in dealing with to overcome shyness. It gives you confidence and moral.
So, if your follow above tips, I am sure you will overcome your shyness. Well that’s it for me today. I will be back soon with a new topic, until then good bye.





Share on Google Plus

About sammaurya

I am computer and web application programmer. I love working with latest gadgets and tech.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.